Groove is in the Heart

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Back in the U.S.A., What the hell is going on around here?

I'm back in the states and have been for three weeks. In those three weeks I haven't blogged a thing due to one thing or another. School, work, seeing old friends who were visiting. I've been enjoying the weather, trying to re-assimilate to life here, and hanging out with my dog.

It's been weird not writing, but also it kinda became easier and easier not to do as the days passed. I had every intention of doing a huge photo post, and an update about my thoughts on the end of the trip and on the summer in general, but all of that just seemed too self-centered given the state of affairs elsewhere in our country. I've also, like many of you I'm sure, been absolutely fixated on what is going on In LA and the Southlands. The hurricane has damaged a hell of a lot more than just cities, towns and homes. More lives have been lost as a result of the hurricane and the mismanagement of the aftermath than have happened since the SF earthquake in 1906 in which about 6000 people were killed.

There is a vast amount of information that has to be sifted through in order to find what is really going on. Fortunately there are several people I know who already spend much of their time scouring the news and media sources. These are a few links to some of the most moving/startling/outrageous information available.

Interview with Ray Nagin, Mayor of New Orleans

FEMA Daily Stupidity

Site that cites ONLY verifiable sources, pretty balanced coverage

This is just a few, I don't have time to put everything here but if you're interested, Rick Abruzzo has put together a pretty comprehensive collection of resources and I can email it to you upon request.

On another note, I plan to start writing as often as possible again, so the blog will be updated as necessary. I've been periodically checking my own blog in the last few weeks to see if someone had posted something new unbeknownst to me... I know how that sounds, but hey, it could've happened. At any rate I'm back online now.

2 Comments:

  • hey. check this out. we're not alone in our confusion and outrage:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4211320.stm

    peace!

    By Blogger andrea, at 10:16 AM  

  • welcome back.

    By Blogger Dan-E, at 12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home